What I found interesting, though, was ( Berkman Executive Director) John Palfrey's panel presentation on how to create a legal framework for ICT entrepreneurship in developing countries. You can access his well written post on his blog, but I give a summary as follows:
- Adopt a value and culture of Rule of Law
- But understand that there is no 'one-size-fit-all' solutions
- Enact predictable and consistent laws/regulations
- Most crucial areas:
- Telecommunications regulations
- Pricing controls
- Intellectual property
- Needs an integrated approach to all existing relevant laws, not just focus on a narrow 'e-commerce law'
- Control corruption
- Promote competition
I think that this is a great overall framework, and much too have been written about the actual the policies and laws themselves, that I hope to blog about some time soon.